This dairy-free sweet potato coconut soup is smooth, tasty and filling. Children and adults enjoy this soup. Sweet potatoes endlessly please and nourish.
The recipe calls for a small amount of coconut cream – just enough to make the soup velvety (and not too much to make the soup too rich).
This soup can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish.
This soup recipe is Pesach-friendly* and it can be enjoyed all year around.
- 3-4 shallots, diced
- 1.8 lbs (800 g) sweet potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 cloves of garlic, prepared using a garlic press
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut cream
- 8 cups organic low sodium broth vegetable stock or water
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Garnish: Green onion
- 12-inch fry pan
- Garlic press
- Soup pot
- Vegetable peeler
- Place diced onion and pressed garlic into fry pan with ¾ cup of vegetable broth and cook for 5-7 min until shallots are transparent
- Peel the potatoes and carrot and dice into large pieces and soak in water for a minimum of 10 min.
- Place the sweet potato, carrot, onion and garlic.
- Add 8 cups of vegetable broth, 1 tbsp of coconut cream and cinnamon
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches until smooth
- Add more vegetable broth if you want to thin the soup out.
- Serve hot is small or large bowls
- Garnish with green onion
If you like this recipe, you’ll love The Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Simple Plant Based Recipes For Your Holiday Meals