These 3-ingredient vegan and gluten-free treats are easy to make, delicious and healthy. Your children will love them and they’ll enjoy helping to make them as well.
They are a perfect dessert for Tu B’Shvat (when dates are a symbolic food) and during Passover (as they contain all kosher for Passover ingredients). They can be served at room temperature or cold. I make them all year long and keep them in my freezer.
They taste like a healthy “Snickers” bar.
This recipe was inspired by a treat that can be found at the Vietnamese market in Ho Chi Minh City.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 cups pitted dates, roughly chopped (from about 16 dates)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Coating: Crushed toasted almonds
- Optional: A few drops of water or orange juice
- Food processor
- Dessert platter for serving
- Place the almonds and sea salt, and pulse until finely ground
- Add the dates and vanilla extract
- If the mixture seems too dry, add a few drops of water or orange juice until
- it sticks together when you squeeze it
- Form 1 rounded tablespoon of the mixture into a small ball
- Roll in the crushed toasted almonds
- Serve in a way that you think is pretty
If you love this recipe, you’ll love the spicy version of these date balls in the The Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Simple Plant-Based Recipes For Your Holiday Meals