It is a tradition in some families to break the Yom Kippur fast with water or tea, followed by a piece of cake. People relax for half an hour to an hour and then come back to eat a meal. This is actually recommended, because it allows us to rehydrate and prevents us from overeating out of hunger. Making good food choices to break the Yom Kippur fast eases your body out of the 25-hour fast in a supportive way (your digestive system will thank you).
This tradition is also comforting and cozy. Let us keep this lovely tradition and serve healthier cake.
These Mini Maple Pumpkin Cocoa Cakes are delicious. The mini cakes have a perfect level of sweetness, are satiating (from the pumpkin puree) and have a slight cocoa flavor (from raw cocoa powder) that tastes just right after fast. I even added some fresh orange juice to the cake to give it a fresh taste.
These can be made the day before and kept refrigerated until 2-3 hours before serving.
- 2 ¼ cup white whole wheat flour (can you gluten free alternative)
- ¼-½ cup rapadura sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 cup rice milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c applesauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 3-4 Tbsp raisins
- Garnish: powdered sugar
- 2 mixing bowls
- citrus juicer
- 2 muffin tins
- muffin papers
- Preheat oven at 425 F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- In blender combine rice milk, applesauce, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, salt, orange juice, lemon juice, sugar and maple syrup and blend until completely mixed.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and combine evenly.
- Fold in the raisins.
- Pour into paper cups in a muffin pan.
- Bake at 425 F for 7 min and then turn the oven down to 350 F and bake for additional 20-25 min.
- Dust the mini cakes with powdered sugar.
If you like these recipes, you will love the The Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Simple Plant Based Recipes For Your Holiday Meals
Your turn: Tell us in the comments what healthy vegan cake recipes you love.