A good tomato sauce is foundation for so many wonderful dishes. I use it weekly in my lentil soup recipe as well as serving it with pasta. My daughter loves it!
This tomato sauce is fresh and light tasting as it is oil free and uses all fresh ingredients. It is so simple to make that you can enjoy it every week.
From the Jewish Food Hero Kitchen: Healthy + Simple Vegan Tomato Sauce (oil-free)
- soup pot
- garlic press
- 20 tomatoes (approx 3.3 lbs)
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ onion or shallot
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 3 anise stars
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Optional: 1 tsp tomato paste
- Cut tomatoes and shallot in fourths
- Use garlic press to prepare the garlic
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend. If you like chunky tomato sauce, blend less. Blend more for smooth tomato sauce.
- Pour into soup pot and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add more salt and sugar to taste. This depends on the tomatoes as their taste varies.
If you love this recipe, you’ll love The Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Simple Plant Based Recipes For Your Holiday Meals