I love grain based salads. This brown rice salad it nutty and fresh and satiating.
The rice and fresh vegetables paired with the sour and tart dried cherries and the toasted almonds gives the salad a earthy and special flavor.
This salad can be a side dish or a main, depending on your guests and your menu.
- Rice cooker
- Good knife
- Salad bowl
- 1 ½ cups long grain brown rice (to get 3 cups cooked), you can sub in quinoa
- 1 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1 cups sliced spinach
- ½ cup of seeded and diced tomato
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- ¼ cup green onion tops, sliced (the green part only)
- 1-2 tsp natural cane sugar
- ¼ cup dried cherries, sliced in half
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cook the rice according to the directions, making sure to rinse the rice before cooking
- After the rice is cooked, spread it out on a baking sheet and allow it to cool for 1 hour. This is important for the overall appearance of the rice salad and keeping it from looking like “rice mush”
- Dice the vegetables, garlic, shallots, onions and cherries to small diced size and set aside in a large prep bowl.
- Place all diced vegetable EXCEPT the spinach into salad bowl and set aside
- Slice the almonds and toast them until slightly golden and set aside to cool (around 5 min)
- Blend lemon juice, salt and sugar into a dressing and set aside
- Pour dressing mixture over the vegetables and mix gently with your hands
- Add the rice, spinach and almonds and mix gently by hand
- Taste and add more salt, pepper or sugar to taste
- Transfer to a pretty salad bowl
- Serve at room temperature or cold
If you love this recipe, you’ll love The Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Simple Plant Based Recipes For Your Holiday Meals