- 1 cup couscous, medium sized grain (can replace with quinoa)
- 1 cup diced red cabbage
- 1 cup diced small carrot
- 1 ½ cup diced baked pumpkin
- 1 ½ cup diced baked apple
- ½ tsp salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Apple Tahini Dressing:
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp water (optional)
- Pre-heat oven at 400 F
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick canola oil spray.
- Place the diced apple and pumpkin on baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until soft (read not mushy).
- Dice the red cabbage and carrot.
- Make the dressing. If you like your salads with a lot of dressing, double the dressing recipe.
- Using a vegetable peeler, skin the apple. Using the same vegetable peeler, slice the apple into extra thin strips.
- Place 2 cups of water into the saucepan and add the apple slices. Cook until apple is soft and all the water is gone (approx 10 min.).
- Place the cooked apple in blender.
- Add all other ingredients, except the water, and blend until smooth.
- Depending on the consistency of the dressing, add 1-2 Tbsp water as needed.
- After you make the dressing:
- In a large salad bowl, combine the salad dressing and the carrot and red cabbage. Mix evenly
- Add the couscous and mix lightly and well (read do not mush).
- When the pumpkin and apple are cooled, add to the salad.
- Pay attention to mix lightly (read do not mush).
- Taste, and add ½ tsp salt and 1 Tbsp lemon juice to taste if desired.