1 cup chickpea flour
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp carom seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp salt or to your taste
1 small onion, finely chopped
Half a red pepper (capsicum), finely chopped
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1 red chilli or to taste (deseed to reduce heat)
½ tsp grated ginger
½ cup coriander leaves (or parsley if you prefer), finely chopped.
3/4 to 1 cup of water to make a smooth batter
Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk the chickpea flour with the turmeric, paprika, carom seeds, cumin seeds, and salt.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, capsicum, grated ginger, and coriander leaves and mix.
- Gradually add water to make a pancake batter with a smooth consistency. Add small amounts of water at a time, mixing in between to ensure it doesn’t become too thin.
- Heat a non stick pan on medium-high heat. Lightly grease with a little oil.
- Using a small ladle (approximately 50 ml or 3 tbsp), pour the mixture into the hot pan. Use the back of the ladle to spread and smooth out the mixture into a circle.
- Allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. It will be yellow with golden brown areas when done.
- Before making the next pancake, make sure your pan is still hot and wipe with a little oil if necessary.
- Serve with tomato or mango chutney, coconut yogurt, and any salad.
Keywords: vegan, chickpea pancakes, Indian spices, savory pancakes