- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 1 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup of dried currants
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to blend.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the applesauce, non-dairy milk, honey and vanilla. Whisk to blend.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients, add the currants and stir to combine. Don’t over mix.
- Lightly oil the bundt pan with earth balance. Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in 350 F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 and bake for 45 more minutes. Top should spring back to the touch when finished.
- Cool completely before inverting onto a plate.
Prepare the glaze:
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey with the cornstarch and whisk to remove any lumps. Bring to a simmer over medium heat while stirring constantly. Cook for a few minutes, until it thickens. Remove from the heat to cool.
To glaze the cake:
- First dust the cake lightly with powdered sugar. Then evenly drizzle the cake with the honey glaze.