Healing and simple to make Elderberry Syrup
3/4 c. dried organic elderberries
3 c. filtered or spring water
1-2 organic cinnamon sticks
1 TB organic ginger, peeled
1 tsp organic whole cloves
3/4 – 1 c. organic raw honey
- Order your elderberries ahead of time
- In a large saucepan, bring the elderberries, cinnamon stick, cloves, ginger, and water to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- Cool the syrup base, but not completely. Just enough to handle so that the honey will dissolve, but not so hot that you lose the raw benefits of the honey
- Mash the berries with a fork while still in the pan.
- Drain the liquid using a nut milk bag, cheese cloth, or fine mesh strainer. Mitten prefers a nut milk bag.
- Be sure to press all of the liquid out of the berries
For this recipe, you will need these tools: medium to large stainless steel stock pot, large stainless steel spoon, nut milk bag, cheesecloth or fine-mesh strainer and measuring cups and spoons