Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: Makes 9 ½-inch 1 bundt cake
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 1 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup honey or date syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup of currants (optional)
- ¼ cup honey or date syrup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 large mixing bowls
9 ½-inch bundt pan
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and pumpkin pie spice; whisk to blend.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, non-dairy milk, honey, and vanilla. Add the dry to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Don’t overmix.
- Lightly oil the Bundt pan with Earth Balance. Pour the cake batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F (160 C) and bake for 45 more minutes. Top should spring back to the touch when finished.
- Cool completely before inverting onto a plate.
- To prepare the glaze: In a small saucepan, combine the honey with the cornstarch and whisk to remove any lumps. Bring to a simmer over medium heat while stirring constantly. Cook for a few minutes until it thickens. Remove from the heat to cool.
- To garnish the cake: Either dust the cake lightly with powdered sugar or evenly drizzle the cake with the honey glaze.
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Small bowl
- 9 ½-inch bundt pan
- Baking spray
- Small saucepan